Monday, December 1, 2008

1/12/2008

We had a seminar with Aine this morning, it was intriguing to say the least. Dumas, Tymans, Richter were the three artists we looked at/discussed, I was amazed at how apparently banal images-photos etc can be used to create such wonderful artworks. With such diversity, I know that it will be impossible for me to ever say again that I have no material to inspire me. I like Dumas's painterly style, and her 'outspokenness' so to speak, in her source material. In my own work, I will explore the loose and fluidic paint strokes that she sometimes employs. Tymans, different but the same, eg, how he uses images from photographs to realise his social and political commentary. I like his 'conservative' less is more approach to his use of paint, highly effective.
Richter, again the same but different again. More photographic images used as source material, highly skilled painter, making the painting expound upon his social commentary, more so than what a photograph ever could. Excellent seminar.
P.m. carried on with jigsaw, stayed until 9 p.m. have made good progress.

No comments: