Sunday, March 8, 2009

08/03/2009

BERLIN: NO FACES


I gathered this footage on a field trip to Berlin. Rather than doing the usual tourist video thing, I opted for a piece that did not reveal any of the characters faces. This tied in nicely with the work I was doing about missing people. Not showing the faces creates a sense of 'tension' in the piece, we automatically try to make sense of people by facial recognition. Like the faceless characters in this piece, it could be said that missing people in some respects have no identity, neither proved living or dead.

Holocaust Memorial

Perhaps it was the cold of the day, or indeed the snow that had fallen, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I sensed a strange energy around the area of the memorial to the holocaust. The snowy light bouncing off solid geometrical forms, people hiding in ghostly shadows, emerging, then disappearing again. Laughter and games in the place of a thousand sorrows, and we left in peace.


No comments: