Tuesday, December 16, 2008

11/12/2008

Went to London on the college trip to the Tate gallery and the Tate modern.The Tate had an exhibition of works my Francis Bacon. (I didn't think the exhibition would go ahead because of the ban on Irish bacon in Britain ! ) It was absolutely brilliant ! to see the works in "real life" instead of books. Seeing the brush strokes he used, his use of space etc, it was fantastic! it re-ignites the passion for painting!!! Also there were the entrants to the turner prize, I was particularly interested in the work of Runa Islam, a video artist. She showed great skill and mastery over her work.
In the Tate modern there were many wonderful works by world renowned artists, Rothko, Warhol, Lichtenstein, Monet, Picasso, Matisse, the list is endless, suffice to say it was great to see them all!
I would have to say I was very impressed by Rothko's work, the display of the work under examination of u/v light was fascinating, it shows all the processes the artist was using in the work. Another brilliant contemporary artist that I could specifically relate to is the Brazilian Cildo Meireles , his Duchampian use of readymades was spectacular, also comparable to another of my favourite artists Robert Rauschenberg.

No comments: