Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Simon Starling's Egg.

The Starling egg project (sounds like some kind of scientific investigation!) is on-going. As part of the work I will enter into correspondence with Both Sean Lynch and Simon Starling. The following is a letter which I e mailed to Sean Lynch:

Hi Sean, My name is Richard Williams I am a 3rd year student in the Limerick School of Art and Design. I met you when I was in first year you were a visiting artist in the sculpture department; I still see you from time to time around the college. I would appreciate your advice/thoughts on this matter Sean. Whilst on a study trip to Berlin in January with the college we went to a gallery that was in the process of preparing an exhibition for display by Simon Starling. The kind lady who was working in the gallery generously offered us a look at the works that were being made ready. She also kindly spoke about the various works that were on display. In one corner there was a section of a tree (Large branch) which was sawn off a tree that was in the Unter den Linden area of Berlin; I am not certain as to what context the tree was to be used in the exhibition however, I am aware of the historical significance of that area in Berlin. I was intrigued that this branch was being used by Simon Starling in his work when the thought then occurred to me that, to take a twig from the branch and use it in my own work would make for a very interesting concept I.E. it would raise all kinds of questions as to legal ownership of the twig, artistic copyright, historical significance etc, so I did ! The twig that I broke off had a seed attached to it; I have since planted the seed and hopefully it will grow. Again, if it comes to fruition, it will make for a very interesting concept I.E. a tree grown from a seed which came from the Unter Den Linden area and that was part of an artist's exhibition ! The twig itself I have encased in resin; the resin being in the shape of an egg (a play on the chicken and egg theme; whose work came first mine, Simon Starling's, mother nature etc). In some strange sense by placing it in the resin I have actually preserved Simon Starling's work and a little bit of history for posterity. I was going to write directly to Simon Starling about this to see what he thought of the whole idea but to be honest Sean I was a little apprehensive about this. However, I understand that you worked with Simon for a couple of years in Berlin so I said I would approach you to see what your thoughts were on the matter; and how you think Simon might react. Again Sean, I would really appreciate any help/advice you could give on this matter. I am a great fan of both yours and Simon Starling's work, where both research and concept play a vital part. Regards Richard Williams.

No comments: